[TenTec] Raspy CW

Larry Menzel retire at means.net
Thu Feb 15 16:19:34 EST 2007

Hi, Vince.

I guess we need a bit more information to really help you, but perhaps a
couple things you can try right a way.

Are you referring to a raspy received cw note or are you getting complaints
that the transmitted cw tone is raspy as others listen to your signal?

If the receiver audio is raspy that's one thing, but if your transmitted
note is, that's an entirely different matter. For example, if you are using
your noise blanker aggressively, that can cause raspy receive audio.

If your transmitted tone is not clean and smooth, the first thing I'd check
is to make sure that your radio is getting all the current it needs.  The
Orion likes to have a dedicated power supply of at least 20 amps, with a 35
amp source being even better.  Low current can cause all kinds of issues, a
raspy cw note being one of them.

Give us a little more to work with as far as what you're experiencing.

Larry, N0XB
Northfield, MN