[TenTec] Omni V vs. TS850

HUGHESRO ROGERH at realtracs.com
Wed Feb 21 00:03:18 EST 2007

Next to my Orion, the Omni 6 is the best radio for CW and FSK I've ever used. I don't have a mike for it so SSB I don't know. Mine is loaded up with filters. Also power supply and speaker. I work mostly DX and rag chew. Peaking the pass band tuning with the analog fitler, just cuts the noise and seems to raise the level of the weak signal. Then just snatch that cw station right out. I run abt 90 watts out and have a ball. I had a 850 for a while and It had a freq drift problem. It's nice and has tuner, but not too software friendly for logging. Although you can buy or make an interface to fit into the accy plug on back as no serial adapter on back as I remember. I think the ts940sat would be better if u are staying with Kenwood. One sold here a few weeks ago for $850. Had speaker, desk mic and filters. They are gud on CW. I would advise playing with different ones first if u could. Most new Ten Tecs don't sell with Mics. Gud luck, Roger W4IV