[TenTec] New 7800 reveiw

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Thu Feb 22 14:34:43 EST 2007

I just glanced over the new ARRL review of the IC-7800 to compare it to the Orion II.  Although they have improved on the 5 kHz blocking numbers, the 'up-conversion' scheme results in very little improvement in the 2 kHz numbers.  Comparing the reviews:

2 kHz Blocking Dynamic Range:
        IC-7800=114/117 dB        Orion II=139/136

2 kHz 3rd Order Dynamic Range:
        IC-7800=86 dB            Orion II=94 dB

The Orion II still has a 22 dB advantage in close-in blocking, and if we can project some of Rob Sherwood's test data, the Orion II numbers are about the same at 1 kHz, while we can assume that the IC-7800 continues to deteriorate.

I have noticed that DX pile-ups are often QSX "up 1" instead of "up 2" or even "up 5", and in contesting, I often hear stations 'running' .3 to .5 kHz away from each other.  If the station you want to work is S-1 and the next up is +40, the difference can be noticeable.

Not to take away that the IC-7800 numbers are still excellent and the radio has a number of top features including its beautiful display, but I doubt it performs better in a CW contest or pile-up than an Orion II or an Orion 'Classic'.

      Ron N6IE
 www.N6IE.com
(Formerly N6AHA)