[TenTec] Commercial CW License

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 24 17:33:07 EST 2007

I have my 2nd Class Radiotelegraph and as near as
I could tell, it really is nothing but wall
paper. because I got my Extra back when we had to
sit the exams before the FCC, I didn't have to
take the CW test.  I don't think that shipboard
operators need to have any CW capability: it's
all GMDSS now. I got the 2nd class simply because
it was still available and I wanted it before the
FCC decided to stop issuing them.  If I recall,
the complete GMDSS licensing requires some time
in a Coast Guard school for full certification.

Kim N5OP