[TenTec] Many nr features not working on AM

Grant Youngman nq5t at tx.rr.com
Thu Jan 4 13:30:13 EST 2007

> Since I upgraded to the latest firmware version none of the
> nr, nb, an, features work in the AM mode. All work on ssb.
> They all worked in the previous version.  Now on 2.059D.  Any
> suggestions?  Could there be a newer version that would fix that?

I don't run v2 firmware in my Orion, so I can't confirm that.  2.059d is the
latest version.

Frankly, if you put 1.373b5 (or any of the 1.37x releases) in your Orion I,
you'll have an outstanding AM radio, where everything works like its
supposed to, you can tailor the tansmit audio response using the SSB menu,
etc.

One of the real benefits of the v1 DSP on AM receive is use of the autonotch
(AN) to completely eliminate the AGC response to the carrier.  It's a BIG
help copying stations that have relatively low modulation percentage (big
carrier, low audio) since it takes the carrier out of the equation and bases
AGC response on the audio sidebands only.  T-T killed this in the new v2 DSP
code, and it's the primary reason I've left my Orion on v1 firmware.

RX EQ doesn't work on AM either, so it appears something got seriously
messed up in the latest v2/II releases.  Send a LOUD note to ditsnbits!

Grant/NQ5T