[TenTec] re Orion II thoughts (100W/200W), Class A

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Fri Jan 5 21:00:38 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 15:31 -0500, Scott Harwood wrote:
> At risk of changing the subject, on this thread awhile ago someone mentioned working DX on 160 meters with strong ssb stations on each side.  My question is this:   with my Orion II (and any other rig) on 75 meters and operating LSB, there is no problem filtering out a station 1-2 KHz BELOW my frequency, but I always have problems with stations 1-2 KH ABOVE my frequency.  I have tried every combination with the Orion, but can never quite filter out the low guttural sounds.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott K4VWK

The spectrum of that LSB signal 1 KHz higher in frequency includes at
least 1.3 KHz below your carrier frequency. E.g. INSIDE your SSB
bandwidth. There are few solutions. Switching sidebands and using the
same spectrum, I've found helps as the inverted and high frequency
components interfere less than those on the same sideband, but this is a
rare solution. One my dad (K0CPN, now a silent key) and I used for close
to 30 years on 75 meters. The other solution is to move to another
frequency making sure to not overlap your received spectrum with another
signal's spectrum.

73, Jerry, K0CQ