[TenTec] Anyone compare the Orion 565 with the Yaesu FT2000?

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at arrl.net
Sun Jan 7 19:07:21 EST 2007

I am looking for some objective 'user' comparisons between these two
transceivers. First of all I own an Orion 565 but sometimes wonder if it
is correct for my style of operating... which is pretty casual although
I do modest contesting and DXing efforts (more for fun than paper or
scores). The fact is that I routinely operate with my older Ten-Tec
transceivers (Omni-C, Triton IV, Corsair II) far, far more as my hearing
simply prefers the soft/smooth audio they produce.... and I truly prefer
'hard' controls and switchers to multi-function menus.... if given a choice.

Anyway, I have recently had some exposure to the FT-2000 and find its
ergonomics to my liking but can't go much beyond that in the typical
dealer showroom. I've listened for a small amount of time but that is
pretty meaningless without being able to compare one against the other.
So I am wondering if anyone has done some extensive A/B comparisons. I'd
prefer the information 'off' reflector in order to keep disagreement
threads from heating up. Also, if you are going to provide any info let
me know if you have any Yaesu options in your FT-2000. My Orion has the
internal tuner and all six roofing filters. I use firmware 2.059d. I
operate CW, SSB, and packet mostly. Dont' use the Orion for general
coverage as I have 'receivers' for that.

Thanks.

--
Ralph Jerald "Jerry" Volpe
Amateur Radio Operator KG6TT