[TenTec] grounding

Gary Hoffman ghoffman at spacetech.com
Wed Jan 10 00:58:33 EST 2007

Unless there is a problem elsewhere in the system, your earth ground should
not be carrying "significant RF currents".  If it were, then your energy
intended for transmission would be heading to ground, via a very short (we
hope) wire.  Now I must agree that there are many errors that can be made in
a shack that could result in this undesired situation.  Balance is much to
be sought after.

However, no system will be perfect.  There will be small, residual RF
currents trying to find ground no matter how well designed the shack is.
Conducting these stray currents to ground via a proper RF ground, is, in my
view, the best thing that can be done with them.

Then too, there is lightning.  Not likely to be balanced vs your setup, but
it IS RF.  You want that to go to ground also.  And not through your
equipment either !  Another ground design point that must be addressed.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ