[TenTec] Code Speed

jerome schatten romers at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 16 01:19:02 EST 2007

Walt, very interesting... I went through SESS in 1956, MOS was (as near
as I can remember) 053 -- High Speed Radio Opr.

It was called Camp Gordon then. I can't make out if you were before me
or behind me. The base mars station was k4war then.

We received no certificates, but the most outstanding thing I remember
was learning to type with the headphones on to the tune of 'Japanese
Sandman'. They played that tune for 3.5 hours a day while we touch
typed; then for 3.5 hrs/day we copied cw on the mill . An hour short of
a decent day's work (six months, I believe)

The basic radio set up was a bc-610 as you described and Collins 51j4's
with tty gear as I recall. The ANGRC-26 mobile hut on a deuce and a half
with a pe-95 trailing behind.

In Germany, we actually met Russian troops in the field during one
exercise close to the E.German border. Nothing came of it, as it looked
like they were as scared as we were of them.

In 1956 during the Hungarian revolution, we were ready to go, and again
nothing happened. Good thing, but a potential nightmare nevertheless.

Best,
Jerome -- VA7VV (ex K2AXS) still CW only
Vancouver, Canada