[TenTec] QSK - was Omni VI vs Orion

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Thu Jan 18 19:23:51 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 14:46 -0800, Dennis OConnor wrote:
> Good stuff Martin.. Most informative... When I get some time I will put the Hewlett Packard scope on the O2 and see what I see...
>   I understand with DSP rigs why there will be an initial delay from the time that an RF impulse is applied to the antenna input until audio output occurs...  All this processing overhead affects how fast the rig can turn around on qsk...  TT seems to feel the Orion will hold up at 30 wpm...  I am hearing signals at 30 wpm with the O2 but as I commented I do not know how much they are truncated - though it is still useful as I can tell what activity is happening... Your work seems to suggest quite a bit of truncation...
>
>   There is a Tom who was quite vociferous about the QSK timing problems with the Omni series... Since I have one of those I was going to cobble up a quick n dirty analog transmitter / receiver and see what the fastest clean QSK could be had with starting and stopping single oscillator chains... Haven't had time to follow up on that yet...

Chirp city. Time delays worse the higher the oscillator tuned circuit Q,
worst with a crystal. Vintage rigs like the Viking Ranger had a
sequential keying scheme that held the PA off while the VFO or crystal
chirped but claimed QSK with the receiver on a separate antenna.

Mixer transmitters keying the MIXER get truly rapid keying without that
chirp problem.

>   denny

73, Jerry, K0CQ