[TenTec] Omni VI TCXO

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sun Jan 21 14:27:35 EST 2007

> Does anyone know how easy it would be to upgrade to a TCXO? The cost of a
> return to TT doesn't warrant the improvement to me, but I wondered if it
> was something the competent ham could do at home?

I upgraded an Omni Six with the TCXO a few years ago.  Assuming that Ten Tec
still has the assembly available, the retrofit is really quite easy to
install.  It involves disabling the old OCXO oven and mounting the new TCXO
onto the vertical chassis adjacent to the OCXO.  Since the chassis is made
from aluminum, the metal work involved is as simple as drilling a few holes
to mount the new PCB assembly.  RG-174 is used from the new PCB to the
existing board and a couple wires are added for powering.

Alignment is easy -- just select 30M, tune to WWV while in CW mode and Spot
the carrier.  Tune the TCXO for zero beat after the rig has stabilized for
more than ten minutes or so.  For me, the total mod was complete in less
than an hour.

Paul, W9AC