[TenTec] mic

James C. Owen, III k4cgy_list at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 14:00:34 EST 2007

Hi John,
   I generally agree with what all the others have told you but
you may find that it does a great job for you. I have used a
crystal D-104 (un-amplified) on all the rigs I have used over the
last 48 years except one (TT Scout, impedance of Scout too low)
and get excellent reports. I have never had an instance of too
much drive, nor not enough Bass. I'm using it now on a Jupiter
and it works just fine. It has worked great on  the Corsair I,
Argosy II, Kenwood TS-820s and Ts-830s, Heathkit Sb-100 etc. I
bought a TT/Heil studio one and everyone told me to get rid of it
that it was much too bassy. Tried everything but an equalizer
then gave up and went back to the D-104. The amplified one may
give a better impedance match but you will have to rewire it to
use the voltage from the rig to power the amplifier since you
have to wire the amp always on to use VOX and the 9V battery
won't last too long this way. There are several mods out that
have ways to match impedance and different amplifiers and all
seem to work fine.
If I couldn't use the D-104 electrically on my rigs then I would
have to modify with an element that works as mechanically this is
the mike I prefer. It falls to hand easily as I can pick it up
and with one hand squeeze the bar to talk or set it down and it's
the right height to talk into without having to bend over. I hate
the ones that you have to pick up from the bottom with a
horizontal PTT bar. You have to hold it with several fingers and
press the bar with one, very uncomfortable for me. The D-104 is
cheap on any of the swap sheets or auctions, as a good one can be
found for around $20.00 or so. If it doesn't work as you desire
then install an electret element.

73 Jim Owen K4CGY