[TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II

Carl Moreschi n4py at arrl.net
Tue Jan 23 20:01:03 EST 2007

The Orion recording has more bass and less highs.  With a 6 khz filter in
the Orion, the audio passband is 3 khz on each side of the carrier.  I would
expect this to sound bassy and have less highs.  But the quality is
excellent.  The 870 recording clearly shows that the bandwidth is much
greater than 3 khz which would only allow 1500 hertz of each side of the
carrier.  I bet the 870 has a special AM filter that is in the 9 khz or
higher range that switches in automatically in AM.  It is impossible for the
870 AM audio to sound like this with only 3 khz BW.  Both audios are
excellent considering the BW.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain