[TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II

Carl Moreschi n4py at arrl.net
Tue Jan 23 22:07:52 EST 2007

I have one other thought with regards to V1 and V2 on the Orion.  On AM, the
bandwidth with V1 is actually double the filter size.  So a 6 khz filter on
V1 is actually 12 khz which is 6 khz each side of the carrier.  In V2, the 6
khz filter is really 6 khz which is 3 khz each side of the carrier.  The end
result is the wider bandwidth available in V1 should make V1 sound much
nicer.  V2 really needs an 8 k selection for AM.  The funny thing about this
is way back when the rx320 first came out, the maximum bandwidth was 6 khz.
But people complained about AM fidelity and they added an 8 khz filter for
AM in the second firmware release.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain