[TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II

Larry Menzel retire at means.net
Tue Jan 23 22:49:12 EST 2007

Man, Rich, with all due respect, I can't understand what you're hearing.

My Orion II has clear, clean audio, on all bands.  It's crisp and easy to
listen to.

I'm wondering how you have the AGC set, and more to the point, where your RX
EQ is set.  I find the high plus numbers do tend to muddy the audio, but at
zero things sound pretty crisp.

My second question is what speaker(s) are you employing.  I have both the
Icom SP-20 and my computer speakers available to switch back and forth and
the audio is very good on either. I've heard reports that the matching TT
speaker is a poor performer without significant modification.

I'm no technician, and perhaps one of those guys will weigh in, but it's
really curious to me that you'd find the OII generally muddy in character.

I'm not doubting your assessment, but I respectfully submit that maybe it's
an individual radio issue, and not characteristic of the radio in general.

Others may disagree, but YMMV.

Larry, N0XB