[TenTec] Orion RF issue

dw bw_dw at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 26 12:01:35 EST 2007

Hi Natan,
My doublet is also up 50' and half of it runs almost directly over the
house, and zero RF problems with Jupiter at full tilt.
And the rig is not grounded at all.
Just the Power Supply to house ground.

The reason for this is a remote balanced tuner out 30' from the house.
So swr on the coax coming into the rig is comparatively flat.

I wonder if you've looked at the electrical length of the coax as the
possible issue?
Your coax might be around .18wl on 80.
If you have some spare coax lying around, try adding an extra 17' and
see if that doesn't help.

You could try coiling up this extra coax around a length of 6' PVC pipe
also.
If this works, drill holes in the ends of the PVC and tie-wrap the coax
into place.
The coil should be as far away from the rig as possible.

Just some thoughts :)

Duane
N1BBR