[TenTec] Station Grounding

Carl Moreschi n4py at arrl.net
Fri Jan 26 20:26:45 EST 2007

The whole question here about grounding is really one of expense.  Clearly
the best setup is to ground everything together from the tower to the shack
with 0 gauge or larger wire.  All bonds must present virtually 0 resistance.
Even .001 ohms is too high with a direct lightning strike.  Commercial
stations spend hundreds of thousands of dollars doing this and they do it
well.

On the other hand, for an amateur station on a reasonable budget, grounding
to the necessary level becomes expensive and possibly impractical.  The next
best solution is to disconnect everything.

The first 5 years I lived at my Franklinton QTH, I lost from $1000 to $2000
a year in electronic equipment from nearby lightning strikes.  I had the
best grounding I could make, and all kinds of MOV lightning protectors
including a whole house 3 legged protector at the power line entrance.  In
fact my home owners insurance threated to cancel me.  I then went to a 100%
disconnect setup.  This meant that all my electronic equipment was
disconnected from power lines, phone line, rotor control, everything.  I
brought all these lines into my home through a a metal plate and
disconnected everything at the plate.  Well, I lived there for another 15
years and never, I repeat never had another problem from lightning.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain
Hays, NC 28635