[TenTec] Antenna Problem

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Fri Jan 26 20:50:46 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 19:27 -0500, K5XS at aol.com wrote:
> Ten Tec Friends,
>
> My new Orion-II adapts well to a high SWR with its built-in tuner (it  really
> does work nicely), but tomorrow I will try to eliminate one possible  cause:
> The feedline.  I can do that without lowering the beam.
>
> Has anyone on the list used a current balun?  I am using a Cushcraft  A3, and
> Cushcraft has you wrap several turns of coax in a coil to keep RF (I  assume)
> from coming back down the feedline.  I was hoping to eliminate that  bother
> by using a current balun. Has anyone done that with success?
>
> 73,
> Bernie K5XS

A "current" balun is an impedance on the outside of the coax intended to
reduce current on that surface. A coil of coax makes an inductance to
accomplish the same thing. One uses a ferrite core, the other uses an
air core. They accomplish the same thing with about the same performance
though the ferrite sleeve current balun is more compact.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,