[TenTec] Station Grounding

Dave Heil k8mn at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 26 21:17:30 EST 2007

Some of the misinformation on this topic comes straight from Paul at
Ten-Tec.  After I had lightning damage and discussed the matter with a
local ham who is an electric company employee, I broached the subject
with Paul.  While not argumentative, he was insistent that radio station
grounds and power company grounds should never be tied together.

It was quite obvious from the damage done here three years back, that
lightning hit the power lines and entered my home via that means.  The
shack ground was not tied to the house's power ground.  It was obvious
that the difference in potentials between the two grounds caused most of
the damage.  Despite Paul's view, the two are now tied together with #00
wire.

Paul has the opinion that not only should the two grounds not be tied
together, the radio equipment should be disconnected from *everything*
when not in use.  While I disconnect antennas, I'm not disconnecting my
transceiver from power and all other equipment each time I'm finished
using it.  It simply isn't practical.

Dave Heil K8MN