[TenTec] FT-2000 Experience in Europe

Rick Westerman, NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Jan 29 10:49:52 EST 2007

*It's always fun to try out new radios.

*I was invited to test-drive the new FT-2000 at one of the Bavarian
Contest Club contest stations here in Bavaria.
I chose a time that would enable me to test (and compare) it on my
favorite band - 40m.*
*

*Test Conditions:*

    * Date: Sunday, January 28, 2007
    * Time:  17:00z to 19:000z
    * QTH:  West side of Munich (within the noisy city)
    *  Rigs Tested:  FT-2000, FT-1000 Mk5 Field (INRAD CW roofing
      filter, Orion (w. 600 Hz INRAD roofing filter)
    *  Antenna:  3-ele. Mono-band Yagi @ 100 ft.
    *  Band:  40m only
    *  Mode:  CW only
    * Testers: Two CW contest operators with together 90+ years of ham
      experience

The first hour of the test was spent getting familiar with all of the
features of the FT-2000.
Having never used the FT-1000, I needed some time to become familiar
with the many FT-2000 features.
The other operator has owned FT-1000's for many years and assisted me
when necessary, so I do not believe the results below were due to
operator mistakes.

*(My) FT-2000 opinion:*

*Pros:*

    *  Lovely BIG S-Meter
    *  Big main tuning knob (I liked it,  the other op preferred that of
      the FT-1000)
    * The RFT preselector is effective and enables the use of AMP-1
      without incurring intermodulation on 40m.  This improves the
      reception of weak signals compared to running just with "IPO on".
    * The locations of the knobs are well designed
    * Nice "spot" feature
    * Nice smooth break-in CW - up to moderate speeds

*Cons:*

    * RX had more intermodulation problems than the FT-1000
    * Most knobs were smaller than those of the FT-1000
    * No indication of selected bandwidth
    * Like most newer rigs, one will need to read the manual to
      understand how to use all of the features

*On the AIR Performance:*

Throughout the 2-hour test we had the big beam pointed to the Pacific
(45 degrees), listening to several JA's and one 9M1 station.
Propagation was not particularly good and these were all weak signals.

The FT-2000 showed no apparent signs of intermodulation problems with
IPO "on"... but as soon as we switched on AMP-1 and especially AMP-2 we
incurred significant intermodulation problems.  AMP-2 was not used after
that.  With AMP-1 on and RFT off, the receiver not only had phantom
signals, but seemed to pump slightly as well.  Using the built-in
preselector (RFT), we were able to operate with AMP-1 switched on,
without intermod problems.  This improved the reception of the weak 9M1
station.

Switching to the FT-1000 (with INRAD CW roofing filter), we did not
experience this intermod problem.  It clearly received better than the
FT-2000 (when RFT and IPO were off).  There was less noise accompanying
the weak signals.

Switching to the Orion we were immediately impressed by the even lower
background noise and distinct better copy of the (S-1 ~ S-2) 9M1
station.  The band was quieter and the signals were clearer and easier
to copy.  We had best copy of the 9M1 with the preamp "on" and the RF
gain set to 95.

Although the young kids who operate this contest station tend to prefer
the two Yaesu rigs, these two old timers (who favor 40m) would never run
a contest on either of the Yaesu's if an Orion were available!  You can
clearly hear the difference on week signals, even when no contest is
running.  Unfortunately, when contests are running, we don't have the
luxury of time to run tests like this.

Please do not conclude that any of these rigs are bad.
Indeed they are all fine rigs, but there is a very clear winner and just
as clear runner-up.
And don't forget we tested only one mode on one band under European
conditions.
Your mileage may vary.

*Conclusions:*

    * The FT-2000 is a very nice radio with a lot of gadgets that do
      more than just give the operator something to play with.
    * The older FT-1000's RX seems to be slightly better (less intermod
      on 40m) than the new FT-2000.
    * The avid DXer or Contester will hear more with an Orion.
    * This (con)tester would buy a used Orion before he would buy a new
      FT-2000.  I can hear more and don't have to waste time twiddling
      with the knobs.  If there was no such thing as an Orion, I would
      probably buy the FT-2000 simply because it is newer than the FT-1000.
    * The other (con)tester owns all three radios and several others as
      well, but his clear favorite is also the Orion.

73
Rick Westerman
DJ0IP  (NJ0IP)