[TenTec] Orion/O2 Drift Problem-who is interested in a fix?

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Tue Jan 30 13:13:02 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 11:06 -0600, Ken N9VV wrote:
<SNIP>

> How about if you are transmitting into a TRANSVERTER that gets you from
> 10M to 10GHz. I wonder what the 50Hz drift could be, when multiplied by
> the GHz equipment?

With a transverter, the drift of the HF rig will be reproduced, neither
expanded nor contracted. So if the transverter oscillator doesn't drift
the transverted signal drifts that same 50 Hz as it did on 28 MHz. The
drift of the transverter oscillator is independent of the HF rig and is
an application where a 10 MHz GPS stabilized oscillator makes a useful
reference to then stabilize the typical 106.5 MHz crystal that is
multiplied up to 10224 for mixing with 144MHz to get to 10368 MHz. 1 ppb
in the 10 GHz LO, is still 10 Hz drift. An achievable result with a
really good crystal in a proportional double oven or with a GPS
stabilized system.