[TenTec] Orion/O2 Drift Problem-who is interested in a fix?

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Tue Jan 30 23:52:08 EST 2007

Ron --

   I would prefer to be able to lock the Orion's master oscillator (with
a long averaging interval) to an external GPS-based 10 MHz standard --
without degrading the very clean phase noise characteristics of the
radio.  W9AC's note sounds quite interesting.  But the devil is in the
details.

a) phase-locked receivers can be helpful when comparing signals between
two antenna systems (e.g., diversity reception);
b) when one is crowded the edge of a band, it's good to have confidence
as to one's actual location.
c) crystals shift slightly when initially powered up (a permanent
change).  The change accumulates as power gets cycled on-off and the
radio's calibration can become far off.  Between five Orions used at one
of the local contest stations, the frequencies are scattered over
several hundred Hz after a few years of operation.

73,
   -- Eric K3NA