[TenTec] Orion/O2 Drift Problem-who is interested in a fix?

James Duffer dufferjames at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 31 07:48:08 EST 2007

>From: "Carter, K8VT" <k8vt at ameritech.net>
>To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec at contesting.com>
>Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion/O2 Drift Problem-who is interested in a fix?
>Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:54:30 -0500
>
>Ron Castro wrote:
>
> >  The stock radios drift about 20 Hz (15 MHz WWV) in the first 10
> >  minutes, then very slowly correct themselves to the starting point
> >  over a period of about 3 hours, plus they tend to drift with shack
> >  temperature.  I often hear Orions on the air, especially on the TT
> >  Sunday net, and very often they are 20 Hz low in frequency.
>
>Well, I guess you've exposed me as a Luddite!
>
>20 Hz!!!???? Even when running RTTY with 170 Hz shift, I don't recall
>worrying about 20 Hz.
>
>When I was a freshly minted Novice, my dad gave me his rig (it gave him
>a good reason to get a new rig for himself). The receiver was a
>BC-348...and its dial calibration was every 100 kHz--- 7.0, 7.1, etc.
>
>Times change and I guess we worry about stuff because we can.   Now if
>you'll pardon me, I've got a buggy whip that needs to be polished. <grin>
>
>73,
>Carter
>K8VT

You must remember that the original poster asked how many would be
interested in a fix of the 20 Hz drift problem.  IMHO a 20 Hz warmup drift
is not an Orion problem or a problem in other radios therefore I am not
interested unless the "fix" was at no additional cost.  I believe your post
also indicates you feel the same.  What makes a CW net sound "cool" is the
slight difference in the tone as the different operators send.

73, Jim, wd4air