[TenTec] Omni VI Plus/CW/Filter Question

Clark Savage Turner csturner at kcbx.net
Sun Jul 1 00:26:21 EDT 2007

On Jun 30, 2007, at 5:41 PM, Arthur Trampler wrote:

> I am thinking about getting an Omni VI Plus from my brother. ...
(snip)
> If I understand this properly, although the VI Plus has variable
> offset/pitch, the 9mhz N1/N2 filter and any roofing filter have to be
> set for a lower offset if all is going to work.  From what I can see,
> my choice on the roofing filter if I want this is the Inrad 765.
> With discontinuing the 28# numbers, is there a 250hz 9mhz filter, with
> the passband centered around 500hz?  Or the 6.3mhz if filter?

I am not sure what you mean by discontinuing numbers here, but the
model 221 filter may be what you are looking for.  It is a 250 Hz wide,
9 MHz IF filter centered for a 500 Hz note.  Its the one I've always
preferred.  I believe I have the first one off the line here :-)

> Finally, I have heard a rumor that running the lower offset requires a
> re-alignment of the rig.  This makes no sense to me...but what do I
> know?

Not for me it didn't.  Unless, of course, you want to get the t/r
offset to match what you are listening to (down at a 500 Hz note).  You
can compensate for that with RIT or XIT if you like on the OMNI VI.  I
used to do that when I wanted to be spot on frequency.

Clark
WA3JPG

Clark Savage Turner, J.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science