[TenTec] Source or Substitute for Argonaut 509 Final TransistorsPT3647?

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Mon Jul 16 21:25:58 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 16:15 -0500, Stuart Rohre wrote:
> There are a number of Transistors suited for finals of the 5xx series of
> Argonauts.   The 2N 1335 is the closest, but anything with its specs or
> better in breakdown voltage should work  The 1335 is getting hard to find,
> also.   There is an RF transistor sold by "Dan's Small Parts and Kits" a web
> vendor, which fills the bill.  I think it is the 2N5109.
>
> -Stuart
> K5KVH

The 2N5109 was rated as a cable amplifier where intermod of -60 or -70
dB was desired. So the power at ham ratings isn't in the Motorola data
book I have. It is a fine transistor and rated at 2.5 watts power
dissipation. I'd think getting more than two watts out per transistor
would lead to a smoked transistor. But down at a watt or so it should
perform well. Its a popular HF transistor in the ARRL RF design books.

The 2N5109 should be available from Mouser, Digi-Key, or maybe Jameco in
large quantity. The 2N5189 is another one to try.

73, Jerry, K0CQ