[TenTec] Narrow filters reversed Omni VII

Art Searle W2NRA w2nra at optonline.net
Tue Jul 17 11:58:23 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I have both the 300 and 500 Hz filters factory installed in my Omni VII.
When looking at a display of my frequency bandwidth in MMTTY I noticed that
the bandwidth was narrower in the 500 Hz setting.  This caused me to suspect
that the filters were reversed.  On inspection I could not find an
identification on the filters themselves that matched the part numbers on my
receipt or anything else in the manual; nor could I find a match on the Ten
Tec website.  So I had to call Ten Tec to determine the identity of the
filters in my radio.  They were reversed.  If you have both filters and they
were factory installed I suggest you check your rig.  You can do this by
looking at your bandwidth in MMTTY or open your radio and compare your
filter numbers with the reference below.

With the top cover off, the filters are located about 5 inches behind the
front panel’s V>M button.  Remove the filter cover (2 screws).  Again
looking at the radio from the front the filters should be in front to back
order 300Hz, 500Hz, 2.5kHz.  On each filter is a 10 digit  number that is
up-side-down when viewed from the front.  The numbers should be in the order
below.

Filter Number    TT Item #   Filter BW

526-8733-010  =  2032        300Hz

526-8693-010  =  2031        500Hz

526-8694-010  =  stock       2.5kHz

Gary at Ten Tec told me they will take steps to better identify these
filters in the future.  I told Gary that I was embarrassed that I didn't
notice this for 2 months.  He said he was embarrassed that they switched the
filters.

73 Art W2NRA

"Keep to the code!"

w2nra.com