[TenTec] Technical Correspondence

wo8l at aol.com wo8l at aol.com
Wed Jul 25 09:01:53 EDT 2007

Hi,

The idea of opening up software to any and all comers is a little scary.?

First, in today's digital communications world, if?a company doesn't own and control the software, then what do you own?? A box with a bunch of electronic parts in it, I'd say.

Second, if you have open software, warranty and repair issues get very sticky.? You'd almost need a policy that when somebody modifies the software on their own, the warranty is void.? In terms of out of warranty repairs, there would be cases when it would be too much trouble to return the product to optimum condition.

Third, and most important, people overestimate their knowledge and ability with software and that leads to trouble very quickly.? I work as a contractor in computer type jobs.? The world is full of people who think they know what they're doing when they really don't, including me.? I commonly ask the question "why in the world did you do THAT?"

Open software is nice in theory but it can lead to real problems.

--Rick
?? WO8L