[TenTec] Lightning Strike Update

Rick, NJ0IP / DJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Jun 5 22:49:11 EDT 2007

Dear "Dummy" . . . . (just kidding ;-)

Over the years I have always been able to fix other people's radios, but
often had trouble even getting started fixing my own.  I was just too
emotional about it, I guess.  Let's say, nearly in panic mode because my
most precious toy was broken.  Somehow it is different when fixing other
people's radio.  I go at it logically instead of emotionally.

Maybe this is normal.  If not, then call me dummy too!

Most important, your radio is working now.
I am happy for you.

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Jack Emerson
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 8:11 PM
To: tentec
Subject: [TenTec] Lightning Strike Update

Several on this list asked me for an update when I had more to report on the
damage to the Orion. I will very reluctantly now give my updated report. I
say "reluctantly", because if you will read on, you'll find out just how
stupid I am.
Yesterday I called Ten Tec and told them about the problem. They asked me to
troubleshoot it more before sending it to them, so that they would have more
info to go on. Since I already had the radio in my car, I told them I didn't
want to troubleshoot it anymore, and that I would just bring it to them on
Tuesday morning if that was all right with them.
So I left the house just after 0500 today and dropped it off just after
0830. Paul came out and told me he had other equipment to be repaired, but
said he would put it on his bench for a quick go through. I asked him to
re-load the software in it as well, because the previous weekend for the
first time ever, I had significant problems loading the new software into
the radio.
Paul came out about 20 minutes later with a funny look on his face and said
the radio was working fine, that he could find no problems with it. He said
the software re-load had been performed as well. He assured me that he could
find nothing wrong with it. Before leaving, he told me to check the radio
very carefully as I re-connected each piece of auxillary equipment to it
when I got home.
This afternoon, as I re-connected everything, as soon as I connected the tnc
cable to the auxiallry I/O port, the radio went back into transmit.
Everything else worked as it should. So that was it. Had I broken the radio
down myself and performed proper troubleshooting, my face would not be
covered in egg right now. I disconnected the tnc cable and went back on air.
I haven't yet checked to see if the problem is in the tnc, cable, or the I/O
port of the radio. But either way, I'm not concerned about it at the moment.
I'm just tickled to death to be back on air. I still have the damaged rotor
to contend with, but this problem has been solved.
Here's a couple of points. First, service. Over the years, there have been 3
occasions now when I have had to send equipment in to Ten Tec for
service/repair. The longest turn-around time for me has been only 2 weeks.
Their service continues to be top notch. Second, courtesy. When I walked in
this morning, Scott greeted me by name, and Stan said hello, too.That was a
great feeling. And even though Paul had other equipment ahead of mine, he
did agree to spend a few minutes on it in case it was a simple fix, which it
was. And after he found the radio to be working fine, he managed to keep a
straight face while talking to me, though he surely must have thought I was
a dummy (or words to that effect). Third, I could have saved myself a lot of
gas money today had I just done the basic troubleshooting steps myself,
steps which we all learned as novices, but I managed to forget in my haste
this past weekend.
So there you have it. If any of you on this reflector work me on air and
call me "dummy" or "appliance operator", you will qualify for the JAD
(Jack's A Dummy) special event award.
73 de Jack W4TJE in Fancy Gap

Jack Emerson
w4tje at earthlink.net