[TenTec] Squelch onn Omni VI

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Wed Jun 13 11:00:47 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 10:38 -0400, Darrell W4CX wrote:
> I'm thinking about using some high-quality transverters (elecraft) for
> VHF/UHF work using my Omni VI as 28Khz IF strip.  But I discovered that the
> Omni's squelch only works on FM.  I couldn't bear listening to white noise
> all the time waiting for the bands to open, and I'd rather not have to
> switch to FM for monitoring.  Does anyone know of a way to enable squelch on
> SSB/CW on the Omni VI?  Any thoughts on this approach?  73, Darrell W4CX

Ordinary signal operated squelch on SSB/CW often ignores copyable
signals for hours. Its a bad trade off. For voice signals there have
been voice recognition squelches but they don't open for CW.

I presume you really mean 28,000 KHz for that IF.

I looked at using an Omni V or VI for transverter IF and I dropped the
idea. On VHF one often switches between SSB and CW and the Omni's habits
of switching to LSB for CW while using USB for phone is incompatible
with VHF operation. During the VHF contest last weekend I made several
contacts copying SSB while transmitting CW. The FT-857 does that
perfectly, many previous VHF only rigs shift the receive frequency but
not the display and so when changing to CW shift away from copying the
SSB signal. I don't use the FT-826 or 836 anymore just because of those
failings.

I bought a Corsair II for that IF use that hasn't yet happened because I
found the 857 before I built any transverters. The Corsair II and the
857 operates mixed mode properly.

I'm not convinced the Elecraft transverters are superior to those from
Down East Microwave or Kuhne Electronics, but they sure are priced high.
Be sure to compare their capabilities, especially receiver intermod
performance and try to find an IF that will let you transmit CW while
copying USB on the 28 MHz IF. Any other HF shifts will drive you to
distraction or cursing. Once a weak signal is found, you don't need the
receiver changing frequency away from it just because you changed modes.
And mixed mode QSOs are not rare though the lack of code copying
capability by some VHF ops will begin to limit the value of CW for very
weak signal contacts. Their loss isn't our gain.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,