[TenTec] Lightning Strike Results...

Kimberly Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 20 10:47:58 EDT 2007

TenTec has advised me that my O II did not survive the burn-in on the test rack: it suffered multiple failures. Paul told me that they could fix the known failures, but it would be very expensive and the radio would never be reliable. TenTec is sending me a letter stating that the damage is too extensive to allow economical repair and that they deem the radio non-repairable.  That's a disappointment, but also a lesson. I will replace the radio with a new O II, similarly equipped (full set of filters plus autotuner), save for the auto tuner. I'd put  an LDG unit in there and LDG no longer makes the internal auto tuner for the O II, so I'll have to go with the TenTec internal auto tuner. I liked the additional features in the LDG unit, but I'm sure the TenTec auto tuner will do just fine.

The ARRL insurance through the Marsh Affinity Group will reimburse me up to the insured limit that I decalred when I paidn the policy for a new radio once presented with a receipt, less the $50 deductible. This is better than my homeowners insurance, which has a $500 deductible. Still, I was proud to own the rig that had been featured in the QST review and disappoitned at its demise.

In 36 years of radio, this is the first lightning-related damage I've suffered. I sure hope it's the last. Problem is, 50+ kA with a rise time of less than 1 microsecond can do pretty wild stuff, even if it's only close-by.

Kim Elmore, N5OP