[TenTec] OMNI VII--Thanks

John Rippey w3uls73 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 10:37:44 EDT 2007

Tnx for the replies to my musing.

I find the stuff the OMNI VII can do, as illustrated by Paul, W9AC's
excellent explanation, bewildering. I came from a job where other
people handled computers and all I did was talk on the phone, convene
or go to meetings, and write memos (on a computer), etc. It has been
quite an adjustment to come to ham radio after so many years and
discover how far computers have intruded into the work(play)space of
amateur radio. My aim is to reduce to a minimum the time I spend
using a computer, since I know so little about them (and want to know
as little as possible), so all of the OMNI VII's fancy computer-
related traits are of no interest to me.

All  care about is how the radio works as a stand-alone device
sitting on one's desk. That it does work well seems clear. But the
emphasis of Ten-Tec and new owners  does seem, by and large, to be on
the digital features which are of no interest to me--witness the
Yahoo group's postings. I'm just a retro guy :-)

Yes, it is fairly priced in comparison to the OMNI VIs, no doubt
about it.

73,
John, W3ULS