[TenTec] Logging contests under Vista

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 23 11:46:21 EDT 2007

Now this is new to me. I've run VMWare at work for some time under XP
Pro, so that I have an easy way to move data between linux and
Windows apps. I take it that VirtualPC will only run MS OS's. but
that's fine. I have no interest in Vista right now, but it looks like
VirtualPC will run under XP Pro.

One of the issues with VMWare is that it couldn't "touch" any of the
peripherals because XP insulates all peripherals from applications.
They seem to have solved some of that, but will VirtualPC really run
the DOS logging programs properly? Such as proper CW keying? I'm
particularly interested so that I can run TRlog.

I'm running a P-III system here with 512 MB and a 1.46 GHz P-III
server processor (more cache, but not all motherboards support it).
However, it's essentially a museum piece so if anything quits, I'm
pretty much dead in the water.  I know because I had to look long and
hard to find a replacement mobo after my recent lightning strike.
Because of that I'm going to migrate to a Athlon X2 4200+ processor
with 2 GB of DDR2 RAM. At least I can find parts for that system.
I'll be able to migrate my OS (XP Pro) intact if I use the Windows
Repair path that eliminates all the existing drivers and reinstalls
all hardware drivers from scratch. Under that hardware, VirtualPC
sounds very interesting if it can really "touch" the hardware.

Any experience with this?

Kim Elmore, N5OP