[TenTec] Orion at Field Day

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Mon Jun 25 14:55:52 EDT 2007

I upgraded an Orion to v. 1.373b5 to run in our Field Day event this year with the Redwood Empire DX Assn. and the Marin Amateur Radio Society.  You can see an interesting newspaper article published in yesterday's Marin Independent Journal with a picture of me operating the Orion at www.N6IE.com!

The rig with the updated firmware was much improved over the previous original version although I don't recall which one was in it before.  Last year, there were reports of crashing at least once per hour or more.  This time, running all SSB and over 1,000 QSO's, we had only two lock-ups during the course of the event.  I suspect that the newest v. 2.x is better and advised the rig's owner to do the hardware mod and upgrade.

                     Ron N6IE
                www.N6IE.com