[TenTec] hi/lo cut on Orion II

Carl Moreschi n4py at arrl.net
Mon Jun 25 17:32:37 EDT 2007

The locut and hicut controls are really for SSB and not CW.  They move the
passband just on one side of the passband, where as PBT moves both sides in
the same direction.  When you move the hicut control, only BW changes
because all the filters have the same locut frequency.  Since you only want
the hicut of the passband to change, simply changing filters performs the
hicut job.  When you move locut, in order to keep the hicut constant, both
pbt and the filter have to change together.  Both controls do exactly what
they say.

So, on SSB if you have interference on the low side of your signal, move the
locut control.  If you have interference on the high side of your signal,
move the hicut control.

On CW, these controls work backwards on Orion version 2.062a.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain
Hays, NC 28635