[TenTec] Mod for Paraagon to 60 meters and other questions

W4UOC at aol.com W4UOC at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 16:42:46 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/19/2007 10:32:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
n8coo at yahoo.com writes:

Tom,

1. The Paragon can be modified to transmit 1.7-30 MHz by  cutting the
"Ham" jumper on the Logic Board.  See page 6-79 of your  manual. Of
course you have to properly adjust the frequency, mode, and  power for
the 60 meter "channels".

2. I haven't had any problem with  the clock freezing so can't help
there.

3. I have isolation  transformers and a 5k pot on the input (transmit
audio) so I can adjust the  drive. I use the rear jacks for sound card
inputs/outputs and works  well.  That way I can leave the microphone
plugged in. With the  Ten-Tec 705 mic I'm using the mic audio is
isolated  when the PTT  button isn't pressed, so I don't have to worry
about room noise getting in  the signal. (I have the switch on the
bottom of the 705 set to PTT).   I also have a switch on the interface
to cut the transmit audio I can use  so computer noises don't get in the
rig unintentionally when I'm not using  sound card modes.

Mark....

Thanks for all your suggestions.

As it turned out the HAM Jumper had already been cut and it works fine on  60
meters.
The other problem I had was the display was so bright I could see all the
digits I wanted to see....plus I could see all the digits that should have been
blank.  It turned out that there is a jumper to have either high or low
brilliance.  I changed the jumper to low and the screen looks fine and now  the
clock works too.  Go figure.
I probably just got a better connection on the connection to the clock
display... But it's been fun cleaning up these few glitches.

I don't know why but I really like this Paragon.  I have a lot of  rigs but
for some reason this is becoming my favorite.  I like the fact it  is so
versatile.  I like the general coverage receiver features and the 6  khz filter for
AM.  I only wish I had the Paragon II so it would work AM,  which is my
favorite mode. As you can see on my web page.

_www.members.aol.com/w4uoc_ (http://www.members.aol.com/w4uoc)

Tom Koch - W4UOC