[TenTec] OM7 on 40m in Europe

Rick, NJ0IP / DJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Mar 1 10:31:42 EST 2007

Ken

Sorry, I guess I just assumed that everyone knows that all Ten-Tecs are
great on CW, by default.

Here are my thoughts on the OM7 in CW:

Since I did not drive a linear with the OM7, there is not much I can say
other than typical Ten-Tec excellent BK.

On CW there is no need for hi-cut or lo-cut so operating using the bandwidth
and passband tuning is nearly identical to the Orion - it just has fewer and
larger steps, and does not go down quite as narrow as the Orion.  I always
used larger steps on the Orion anyway because I wanted to be able to change
bandwidths quicker.

As on the Orion, the appropriate delays for switching the linear are
adjustable which should make smooth interoperability with most linears a
breeze.

This was my first radio with color display (my Orions were both of the first
generation).  I don't really care whether I view it in color or not, but
there was one little feature that was indeed useful:  When running in split
mode, the frequency readout of the TX is displayed in RED so you see
immediately that you have split turned on.

Although there are menus for many features, adjustments of things needing
frequent adjustment (e.g. Keyer Speed) is just a single push of a push
button, then turn the multi knob.

Better than on the (original) Orion, you see clearly which IF crystal filter
is selected.  It displays numerically just above the numerical display of
the DSP bandwidth.

Since I didn't transmit much, there is not much more I can say about CW.

73
Rick