[TenTec] running cw with generator question

jerome schatten romers at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 3 18:53:30 EST 2007

Hope this isn't stretching the limits on off-topic posting:

I'm considering buying a small eu1000 Honda 1000w generator to (among
other things) run my Jupiter with a switching power supply and my laptop
from inside my camper. I run only CW, and I was wondering if the rapid
surges in current draw caused by the CW keying would drive the generator
nuts? Or, as I would hope, the flywheel on the generator would keep the
generator running at about the same speed?

I would be plugging the generator into the camper so it could run the
lights, etc. as well and hoping to get away with a 1kw generator, as
physical size is a problem while travelling.

Seems to me that this is the old 'field day generator' problem, but I
never paid much attention to the generator end of things as I was always
operating. Thanks for any advice.

Best,
jerome - va7vv