[TenTec] running cw with generator question

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Mar 4 13:01:28 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "jerome schatten" <romers at shaw.ca>

> Hope this isn't stretching the limits on off-topic posting:
>
> I'm considering buying a small eu1000 Honda 1000w generator to (among
> other things) run my Jupiter with a switching power supply and my laptop
> from inside my camper. I run only CW, and I was wondering if the rapid
> surges in current draw caused by the CW keying would drive the generator
> nuts? Or, as I would hope, the flywheel on the generator would keep the
> generator running at about the same speed?
>
> I would be plugging the generator into the camper so it could run the
> lights, etc. as well and hoping to get away with a 1kw generator, as
> physical size is a problem while travelling.
>
> Seems to me that this is the old 'field day generator' problem, but I
> never paid much attention to the generator end of things as I was always
> operating. Thanks for any advice.
>
> Best,
> jerome - va7vv

Hi Jerome,

I run my Omni 6+ and Drake L-7 amplifier with a pair a
EU-2000i's (using the parallel kit) when operating 160
meters from the desert. Line regulation from these
generators is excellent. The 118Volts I get at the generator
outputs is stiffer than the 115Volts in my house.

The key point to remember with intermittent loads like a
CW transmitter is that you CAN NOT run the "ECO
Throttle" on the Honda. The ECO throttle keeps the
generator RPMs low until a load is applied. This minimizes
noise and maximize fuel economy. Its great for slowly
varying loads (turn on a light in a tent), but because it takes
a while for the generator RPMs to ramp up in response to
a load increase, rapidly varying loads (like a CW or SSB
transmitter) will drive it nuts. The good news is that the
Honda is pretty darn quiet even with the ECO throttle off.
With the ECO throttle off, mine stills grunts slightly at the
beginning of a CQ, but seems to do just fine. I've run
them on 4 or 5 portable operations, with no problems so
far (knock on wood).

I did have EMI problems from the ignition and as well as
from the switch-mode inverters. Shielding the short
spark-plug wire with braid fixes the ignition noise, and a
good common-mode choke takes care of the inverter noise.

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/EU2000i/Ignition.htm

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Portable_Operation/EU2000i_Filter.htm

After making these changes, there is no noticeable increase in
my noise floor compared to running a receiver off of a battery
even in the very RF quiet desert locations where I have
operated.

Fuel consumption is ~1 gallon per generator every 5 to 6
hours with heavy CQing at 1.2KW RF output (~3KVA
load).  That's the biggest downside of these generators is
the small fuel tank. Once of these days I am going to rig
an external tank that feeds both of my EU-2000I's
simultaneously.