[TenTec] New Omni VII

Carl Moreschi n4py at arrl.net
Sun Mar 4 19:59:07 EST 2007

I received my new Omni VII last Thursday.  I have been going almost 24/7
programming away enhancing my software to take advantage of this great
radio.  Several things impress me about this radio.  From a programming
point of view, it is the first radio I have seen that allows 100 percent
control from a computer.  I should be able to do some really neat things
under computer control.  From an operational point of view, I am extremely
impressed with the CW QSK.  Listening while you are sending CW, you cannot
tell the difference between the transmitter being off or on.  There are no
clicks or pops of any kind.  I was listening to a CW S3 signal on 40 meters.
I set the keyer at 43 wpm and transmitted a continuous dit stream at about 5
watts.  I could easily still hear the CW station through my sidetone and
tell he was there even though my sidetone was louder than the signal.  This
is fantastic.  I also find the receiver to be very quiet and yet it hears
real well.  On phone, I am finding SSB stations sound very clean even with
the 2500 hertz Collins filter engaged.  I also bought the 500 hertz filter
and that is working well too.

The human factoring on this radio is amazing.  Reading the manual is
completely optional.  The controls are very intuitive.  The scheme they used
for the Alt button with the 6 buttons at the bottom of the control is one of
the best I have ever seen.  I can see I am going to really enjoy this radio.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain
Hays, NC 28635