[TenTec] emergency back up power

Gary Hoffman ghoffman at spacetech.com
Mon Mar 5 17:19:43 EST 2007

You will find "good" used batteries sometimes, in some places.  If you do,
they can save money.  If they turn out not to be so good, they will be a
total waste of money.  Your mileage will vary.

I believe in using properly designed, new, deep discharge batteries.  And
mine do get deep discharged in an emergency, cause after all, well....its an
emergency and you have to do as much as you can for as long as you can.

It is true that certain battery designs do not require (and must not be
given) an equalization charge.  Consult your (new) battery supplier.

Charging with solar power is a great idea.

Sine wave converters greater than one kw do not require, in general, rack
mounts.  Maybe a couple of them do.  Most just wall mount on 4 screws.  You
can put them in a simple wall mount metal box if you want to.

Safety ground and fuse the hell out of everything.  Use DC rated fuses where
appropriate.

Regards,

Gary