[TenTec] emergency back up power

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Mon Mar 5 19:49:12 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 17:21 -0500, Gary Hoffman wrote:
> I'll bet that the battery voltage, as delivered to the actual radio, is a
> little low.
>
> Going to a sine converter and 115 VAC power fixes this issue totally.

At a cost of anywhere up to 50% of the battery's power from the
inefficiency of the inverter and the linear Tentec power supply.
Sometimes it is more effective in the long run to let the radio struggle
with 12 volts and to run 25 watts and to run for many hours than to run
high power inefficiently for a few minutes. Then it helps to select the
radio that will run from the battery that isn't being charged.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,