[TenTec] Keyer for Triton and C21

Kirk Braunius kbraunius at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 21:52:21 EST 2007

Licensed as a Novice in 1991, I am about to get started with CW.  I do not
rush into things.

I have a Triton 540, and a Century 21 on the way.  I have been practicing
with a Bencher BY-2.  The Bencher came from a hamfest with a kit-built CMOS
Super Keyer from Q-Tronix (an Oct 1981 QST article on The CMOS Super Keyer
came with it).

The instructions for the Triton say with regard to electronic keyers
"...should preferably be of the reed relay type since a low resistance is
required on the KEY line for proper transmitter keying." and "..Transistor
switched keyers may not key the Triton at all in the case of negative
voltage circuits, or may present too high a saturation DC residual voltage
in positive voltage circuits."

The C21 says "...preferably should have a reed relay of a positive voltage,
low saturation transistor output circuit..."  and "...electronic keyers with
reed relays, or transistor switched circuits incorporating low saturation
NPN transistors are recommended.  Improper key line conditions may cause
lower than rated output, improper keying envelope and/or key clicks."

Can someone tell me if this keyer will work with these rigs, or suggest
something else that will work?

Thanks, Kirk AI4PZ