[TenTec] Herc II and 9420 PSU

JACrux jacrux at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 6 07:31:54 EST 2007

Whilst the xyl was out I got the 9420 into the kitchen and took a peek inside.
One of the 14v rails is very dead - the wires at the terminals of one 47,000
mfd capacitor look as if they have been running hot. Now I have the capacitor
out and on the table, I can see the top is cracked and the + terminal is
corroded. The cap itself It shows an internal near short. So no wonder the
wires to it look well cooked.
OK so I need a new cap from somewhere. But before I do more disassembly,
I wonder if anyone out there has seen this before ?  And how much damage did
it do ?
The transformer seems OK, but I guess the regulator card and pass transistors
are fried, maybe also the bridge rectifier. I do have spares; maybe its best
to replace everything in that leg of the supply ?
Now to move the thing out of my xyl's way ASAP ! She is due home shortly.

The good news is that the Herc II may well be OK ....................... sigh
of relief. Power supplies are almost within my feeble brain power.
73  John G3JAG