[TenTec] Noise reduction of roofing filter?

Bill Cotter n4alg at qx.net
Wed Mar 7 13:39:05 EST 2007

Peter,

I have the Inrad 763 filter (600Hz CW, 9000.7kHz IF) installed on
the roofing filter board, Inrad 759 filter (400Hz CW, 9000.7kHz IF,
N2) and Inrad 750 filter (400Hz CW, 6299.25kHz IF) installed in my
OMNI-VI+. Operating on 80/40M during the early evenings is a
particular challenge with the atmospheric noise, static crashes and
QRM from SSB stations closing in on the CW sub-band.

Operating without the roofing filter, 2.4kHz first IF and 500Hz TT
filter, the QRN and QRM is dramatic. Activating the -20dB
attenuator and/or reducing the RF gain reduces the overall noise
power mentioned by Gerald below. Switching in both 400Hz filters
(1st and 2nd IF) plus the 600Hz roofing filter SUBSTANTIALLY
reduces the noise on weak signals. I attribute the improvement in
S/N ratio to the total shape factor and quality of the filters.
And, this improvement is without using the LP/NR DSP settings, with
their unique contribution of artifacts (ringing, popping, etc).

For many years I used the TT dual-500Hz and TT Dual-250Hz filters,
in spite of their passband ripple and perceived blow-by. Upon
installation of the Inrad filters, you can immediately hear the
improved shape factor and low PB ripple. It is startling and
clearly obvious with the first listen.

I have the same issues with diminished hearing, and the Inrad
filter combination was a sound financial decision for the return in
weak signal performance improvement. The reduction in fatigue from
noise and QRM has made operating the OMNI a continuing pleasure.

73 es tnx bill n4lg

PS: I have no pecuniary or other interest in INRAD other than being
a satisfied customer.

Bill Cotter, N4ALG             E-mail: n4alg at qx.net
173 Carolyn Lane               Home: (859) 887-5563
Nicholasville, KY 40356-9340   Work: (859) 323-6474

ARRL   ARCI #9878   QRPl #1646   QCWA #29393   FISTS #4535