[TenTec] Is there a beefier 2N5301?

Gary Hoffman ghoffman at spacetech.com
Wed Mar 7 14:38:38 EST 2007

Bill,

Only use mica or the various pads if you require electrical insulation.
They do not conduct heat anywhere near as effectively as the thermal grease
by itself.  If you do require electrical insulation (maybe the case of the
transistor is one of the leads and you cannot insulate the heat sink itself
from everything else) then you have no choice.

In such cases what we do if we are using aluminum heat sinks is we send them
out to be black anodized first.  This anodize is an excellent electrical
insulator and an excellent heat conductor.  Just be careful not to scratch
it.

Regardless of which method you use, if you chill the heat sink using an a
TEC, the whole package will handle far more heat.

Gary