[TenTec] emergency power via generator

Gary Hoffman ghoffman at spacetech.com
Wed Mar 7 15:03:42 EST 2007

My hot water heater is 4 kw like Jerry says.  My 6 kw ( 8 kw peak) genset
can handle it, if I manage load aggressively.  What I do is power it off
part of the time and save lots of load that way, while still having some hot
water.

I have my own water and sewage pumps (we live in the country) and I don't
find the surge loads from starting to be an issue with this size generator.

It is economical, insofar as I manage my loads well.  If I load it right up
of course, then it uses more gas.  Economy is not my issue at all.  I need
to do what I need to do, and outages are short enough and rare enough that
the annual gasoline bill for the generator is not worth worrying about.

Gary