[TenTec] S-Meters and the Brain

Allan H. Kaplan w1ael at arrl.net
Thu Mar 8 11:52:20 EST 2007

Signal reports are done with your EARS and the filter between them, not a
meter.

KC4ATU

Dear Bill,
I agree, but only for the Readability and Tone components of the RST.  If your radio, like mine (OMNI VI)has a relatively flat AGC transfer function, rising only about 6dB over the range of signal strengths from "in the noise" to "booming in", it would seem difficult to perceive relative signal strength except perhaps as a function of apparent signal-to-noise ratio.  Apart from the varying AGC transfer functions in different radios, one must also consider the important factor of how the receiving station's antenna affects his S-meter reading.  While we cannot take S-meter readings too seriously, your statement that they should not be installed on radios seems rather extreme!

Sure, I do agree that entirely too much emphasis gets placed on the signal strength reports -- probably a VANITY ISSUE!  In these days of clean transmitters (Cuban stations excepted!), only the Readability report really matters, unless the guy is trying to compare or improve something.
73, Allan W1AEL.