[TenTec] emergency power

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 8 19:52:25 EST 2007

We planned our house with a standby generator in mind. We're on a
well and my wife will have horses; we need to be able to water the
animals under all conditions. So, we have a 13 kW natural gas-fueled,
air-cooled Guardian generator that starts automatically 10 s after a
power failure. It feeds the house through a manual transfer switch,
so transfer to generator power is not automatic. The generator came
with its own auto transfer panel that will feed 9 circuits, good for
60 A. But, we have 400 A service at the house and 20-something
separate circuits. I also didn't want to lock myself into a permanent
subset of active circuits while on emergency power.

These generators are not terribly expensive -- a bit over $3000 --
and will run on either natural gas or propane (modification needed
for propane). It has one minor problem in that during hot weather,
cooling air circulation around the internal circuit breaker is
inadequate and so well below full load, the circuit breaker will
thermally trip. However, if I leave the top open a bit enough cooling
air circulates that the circuit breaker will run cool at a full load
indefinitely. The air-cooled versions are not reated for continuous
duty (as in 24/7/365). If that need is anticipated, a step up to a
liquid-cooled version is needed, which is quite a bit more expensive.

Kim N5OP

P.S.: Yes, it's grounded properly to the AC mains :)