[TenTec] Orion and GAP Noise Elimination Module

yahoo email barbiekenw at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 21:29:44 EST 2007

Last month's QST New Products created an interest in testing Gap's Noise Elimination Module with my Orion II.

I used it with an MFJ power supply brick rated at 500 ma, but after everything got hot, I heard ac HUM.  Then I used the transceiver's power supply and it went away.
The MFJ power brick went in the trash.

The GAP module does minimize background white noise, and replaces it with DSP artifacts.  These depend on what level (it has 8) of processing you have set up.
I used to use a NIR 12, so these artifacts on CW and not uncomfortable to me.  And one can overdrive it with too much AF gain which causes buckshot edges to the CW.

I will keep the module mounted on my speaker so I can cut it in and out easily.  There are some conditions when I think it will be useful.
I doubt one will ever copy any new signals using the module, but it can make the band sound a little more quiet.

Ken K5WK/7