[TenTec] Fwd: RE: RM 11306

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 23 20:43:24 EST 2007

<<<Digital emissions using multiple carriers, such as OFDM, can be designed
for any bandwidth while staying within the existing rules. So,
the subset of proposed rule changes given to the FCC on February
13 includes a bandwidth limit of 3 kHz on RTTY and data emissions
below 28 MHz. It is important to understand that this does not
increase the allowed bandwidth for RTTY and data emissions; it
actually represents a new limitation that accommodates existing
practice but prevents future monopolization of large segments of
our narrow MF/HF bands by a single digital station. >>>

I have a problem with what appears to be "premptive regulation."  Why not
wait until there is a problem instead of regulation by fear, uncertainty and
doubt which might lead to the squelching of development of a new mode?
What is ARRL afraid of?  What is wrong with the status quo?  Anyone unhappy
with things as they are today?  The ARRL has always been pathologically
obsessed with spectrum conservation.  It made sense about 50 years ago when
there were lots of entities wanting HF space.  Now, HF broadcasters such as
the BBC are abandoning their HF operations...maritime mobile are on
satellite....aviation will probably join them and are already using GPS.
Amongst hams, have you all had a hard time finding a clear frequency lately?
  I sure have not.

It also bothers me that the ARRL did nothing as far as I know to inform
anyone of this ex-parte FCC meeting before or after--it leaked out by a few
vigilant people who happened to still be looking at the record of filings in
the RM11306 public file, and the ARRL pdf file of the meeting was given a
.cgi extension which may have prevented some people from being able to see
it.   there's something about all of this that smells of sneaky to me.

rob / k5uj